Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Week

Today a short break in the rains. The olive trees are heavy with fruit. We will begin picking after the first of the year. I have a method of processing olives (given to me by Alice Elliott of the Ballard Store restaurant). Large burlap bags and rock salt mixed with the olives. Tied to a tree limb. Spray the bags with a light mist of tap water for 35 days. Remove and cover in cold water 3 times for 24 hours. Then they are chewy and bland. Put them in mason jars. Fill with good olive oil, garlic and rosemary. Store for a month. Delicious. This year I will grind some culinary lavender into the mix. I give the bottles away to friends.

Xmas is here. I lost a long time friend yesterday. 35 years I have known him. I meant to call in the last few days. I did not, he died. I knew it would feel bad and it does.The last 18 months 12 people I knew very well have passed on. I am glad that I had been a friend to them. I thank God I am in good health. A big week for gratitude.

This little lavender farm, mortgaged as it is, is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I walked in the soggy fields today, knowing there is good drainage so I don't have to worry. I found a flower, in full bloom, oblivious to winter.
Our winter emails were a success. Each day this year I asked people for their email address and promised good discounts. They responded very well. Thank you, we are grateful to you and hope you love the products.
Have to go and finish dinner. Merry Xmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment